Tuesday, May 19, 2009

I-80 and high speed rail



Being no stranger to driving across the country (I think I have made the trip numerous times now) it never seems to make much sense. Having just drove 1,205 miles from New York City to Minneapolis in a moving truck I was honestly shocked. Of course I am not the first to think of this, but we have the infrastructure in place already for High Speed Rail. All we need to do is take the median of the interstate system and start building. Crazy you may say, but I don't think so.

Considering the use of the interstate it would have made more sense for me to get a shipping container and have loaded my belongings into that. Then that container could travel by rail along freight lines. I could then have gotten on a train and hopefully been in Chicago in about 8 hours. Spent the night and then got on another train and been in the Twin Cites three hours later. What a world of high speed rail could be.

Instead, I drove a small truck half way across the country because, frankly, that was my only option. So instead of taking a total of 11 hours where I could have slept, read, or done whatever I wanted on the train, I was driving along the interstate passing one 18 wheeler at a time. WOW, what a system we created.

Yes, I-80 doesn't really hit any cities from NYC to Chicago, but they could easily be connected with feeder lines. Maybe a 100 years from now our grandchildren will have the opportunity to move around freely without the need for a moving trucks.

No comments: